If I Weren't Me
A Menagerie in Poetry
Release Date: October 2017
112 pages ● 5.5 x 5.5”
Black and white illustrations
Interest Level: Grades 2-7 (age 7-12)
Reading Level: Grades 4-6 (9-11)
ATOS Interest Level: MG
BISAC Subjects: JNF042010; JNF042000
Even the most reluctant readers absorb poetry structure and technique through creative wordplay
If I weren’t me,
What else would I be?
It’s a universal question that we all wrestle with, particularly as children. And it provides creative fodder for poetry teacher hal evans, who brings the sensibilities of Ogden Nash and Shel Silverstein, illuminated with zany mashups by illustrator Kevin Pope.
Leading the reader through a poetic menagerie in which our narrator tries on different guises, evans puns and brays and marches his way through a language-arts funhouse, adopting stances ranging from droll to comical to clever.
As they engage in evans’ infectiously zany wordplay, kids respond in kind, blissfully unaware that they are absorbing poetic structure, form, and technique.
As he curates his menagerie, Evans takes occasion to employ a variety of poetic forms in portraying both the common and the unusual ... Pope’s bold, directly expressive pen-and-ink illustrations amplify Evans’ wry message ... Kids after some highbrow ha-ha’s will find them here. (Poetry. 8-14)--Kirkus Reviews
Plum's The Word Blog
- Artist-in-Residence hal evans Offers Zany Poetry for Young Readers Posted Apr 15, 2017
- Diane Greenseid To Take On Feisty Little Flea Posted Sep 11, 2016
- William B. Jones Embarks on Petit Jean Book Tour Posted Aug 18, 2016
- William B. Jones's "Petit Jean" Selected for the National Book Festival Posted Aug 03, 2016
- Leslie Stall Widener Joins Roster of Plum Street Illustrators Posted Jun 08, 2016
- Plum Street Acquires Third Book in James Babb's Brody Martin series Posted May 23, 2016
In The News
- The Wishing Foxes in The Kirkus ReviewsPosted 20.01.2017
- Plum Street Takes World Rights to Feisty Little FleaPosted 10.09.2016
- Petit Jean Tale Targets Young ReadersPosted 08.09.2016
- Factual Fiction: The Legend of Petit JeanPosted 24.08.2016
- Petit Jean: A Wilderness Adventure in The Kirkus ReviewsPosted 29.06.2016
- Book Deals: Week of June 20, 2016Posted 06.07.2016