Bye Bye BIG!
Release Date: November 2017
32 pages ● 8.5 x 11”
Full color throughout
Interest Level: PreK-2 (ages 3-7)
Reading Level: PreK-1 (ages 3-6)
BISAC Subjects: JUV009060; JUV002000
An eye-popping circle story teaches sequencing and size relationships.
There was a big big frog!
And a little little mosquito ...
So begins a buoyant visual tale in which one animal after another is bested by a larger one—until the smallest of all proves that strength comes in many forms. Inspired by a dynamic cast of characters featuring mammals, birds, reptiles, and insects, kids will chant along with the refrain and delight in the circle of life.
MacDonald and Fierst capture the spirited rhythms of playground boasts in infectiously simple text. Kitty Harvill’s bold, primary acrylic and cut-paper illustrations reflect the dynamics of the story chain with humor and a surprise ending.
"Staccato text and striking cut-paper-and-paint spreads create and sustain dialed-up energy throughout this story. Even the youngest readers will take the point that power doesn't always correlate to size. The words lend themselves to memorization, and Harvill's saturated colors, textured paper, and bold forms have stop-sign impact. A promising candidate for raucous readalouds."--Publishers Weekly
"Little ones explore the food chain and make size comparisons in this tongue-in-cheek book. Graphically bold, textured cut-paper illustrations in highly saturated colors are a big draw here. The element of surprise and lots of opportunities for listeners to chime in will make this a great one for read-alouds."--Kirkus Reviews
"Explodes in colors, sights, and sounds as a few simple words form an increasingly sizable circular story. With a rhythmic refrain perfect for sharing or chanting aloud, illustrator Kitty Harvill's mixed-media collages practically jump off the page as snakes, tigers, and more discover the surprising truth about being big."--Foreword Reviews
Plum's The Word Blog
- Artist-in-Residence hal evans Offers Zany Poetry for Young Readers Posted Apr 15, 2017
- Diane Greenseid To Take On Feisty Little Flea Posted Sep 11, 2016
- William B. Jones Embarks on Petit Jean Book Tour Posted Aug 18, 2016
- William B. Jones's "Petit Jean" Selected for the National Book Festival Posted Aug 03, 2016
- Leslie Stall Widener Joins Roster of Plum Street Illustrators Posted Jun 08, 2016
- Plum Street Acquires Third Book in James Babb's Brody Martin series Posted May 23, 2016
In The News
- The Wishing Foxes in The Kirkus ReviewsPosted 20.01.2017
- Plum Street Takes World Rights to Feisty Little FleaPosted 10.09.2016
- Petit Jean Tale Targets Young ReadersPosted 08.09.2016
- Factual Fiction: The Legend of Petit JeanPosted 24.08.2016
- Petit Jean: A Wilderness Adventure in The Kirkus ReviewsPosted 29.06.2016
- Book Deals: Week of June 20, 2016Posted 06.07.2016